Looking for some birthstone facts? Here are the top frequently-asked-questions (FAQs) that I hear about birthstones, along with my best answers. 🙂
Page 1 | 2
Facts And Frequently Asked Questions
- How Did The Tradition Of Birthstones Start?
- What Are Traditional Birthstones?
- What Are Modern Birthstones?
- What Are The Birthstones By Month?
- What Are The Birthstone Colors?
- What Are Alternative Birthstones?
- What Is My Birthstone?
- What Are The True Birthstones?
- Who Got To Decide The Official List Of Birthstones For Each Month?
- What Are The Best Birthstones To Choose?
- What Are Each Month’s Birthstone Flowers?
1. How Did The Tradition Of Birthstones Start?
That depends on which culture the birthstone stemmed from. Some birthstones used in Christian cultures were derived from biblical sources, others from mythological legends. Still, others became popular birthday gifts simply because the stones were discovered on a king’s birthday…
…ok, well actually that was just one stone. But the originations vary from stone to stone and culture to culture.
So the short answer to this is… nobody really knows! 🙂
2. What Are Traditional Birthstones?
Traditional birthstones were gifts commonly used in ancient cultures. Here’s the traditional birthstone list.
3. What Are Modern Birthstones?
These are birthstones commonly given in more contemporary cultures. Here’s the modern birthstone list.
4. What Are The Birthstones By Month?
Here’s a complete list of birthstones – both the official list and their unofficial alternatives.
5. What Are The Birthstone Colors?
Birthstone colors are related to one of their monthly birthstones. See this birthstone color chart to see which color is yours.
6. What Are Alternative Birthstones?
Alternative birthstones are acceptable variations of the modern or traditional stones or the less-popular birthstones used by various cultures now and in past centuries.
For example, the official birthstones for December are turquoise, tanzanite or zircon. The common element in all these stones is the color blue. Some would consider blue topaz or sapphire an acceptable alternative birthstone for December.
7. What Is My Birthstone?
Your birthstone is determined by when you were born. You can get traditional and modern birthstones based on your birth month (see combined birthstone chart), or you can find birthstones by the day of the week you were born or even your season.